Friday, November 6, 2009

Now I'm Just Hungry for Waffles

I’ve tried.

If they say nothing else for me,

They should say that much.


I tried to hold myself together through these limbo-like days

Between your yes and your no.

It was so much simpler in elementary school:

Multiple choice instead of essays.


I thought I’d made progress.

Lord knows, I’ve tried.

I thought admiring someone’s

Red hair or chocolate eyes,

Their quiet honesty or sun burnt smile

Meant that I was slowly but certainly

Sliding into remission.


But, then I thought,

I would be remiss in my ministry

If I didn’t at least look you up.


Now your number is on my corkboard

And I don’t know what to do about it.

Your half-inch tall smiling face

Haunts my computer screen.


Now I’m waffling between a yes and a no,

An “I’m busy” and an “I’ll make time”,

A heaven and a hell.


Well, at least you can’t say I’ve never fought for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment