“The waitress looks at my face/ as if it were a small tip.” –Stephen Dunn
The dropped dishes
shatter across her nerves
like the jangle of loose change
in her overcoat pocket.
“What am I worth?
Whatever pennies
you haven’t found a use for?
Pocket lint?
Gum wrappers?
Someone once
left me chocolate coins
for a tip.
He thought it was cute.
Tell me this:
will the twelve cents
left over
from the purchase of a lottery ticket
pay for the poems
I didn’t have time to write
and all they might’ve done?
You’ll go home
to your empty house
your ambivalent wife
your old dog
…and you’ll think
about how I smiled
when I poured your coffee.
Then you’ll know
that was the best part of your day
just like I did
when I grinned,
thanked you,
and pocketed your arrogance.”
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Wow, that voices exactly how i felt working in an icecream stand last summer. That's really beautiful.-C
ReplyDelete