Saturday, June 27, 2009

Pink-painted walls

She used to wear these dresses…

These poofy, sunflower-covered, just-for-Easter dresses

To play in the backyard.

She used to have this cloud of golden-brown curls that

Everyone said was a halo,

(she got it from her mother’s father, you know)

But don’t let it fool you.


She’s always had more than me:

More spunk, more height, more adoration, more shoes…

Always has, always will.


Baby girl, young lady, confident woman…

Faerie child…sister-daughter…


Our clothes get mixed up in the laundry now

And even we have trouble telling our underwear apart.

You steal my shirts and I wear the shoes you’ve outgrown.

You do have big feet. Don’t even deny it.


Partners in crime sometimes fighting like two cats in a bag,

Looking like me sometimes looking like Chris.

Blue eyes, small mouth like a child’s, freckles.


I remember you learning to walk

And me dropping things on your head…It was an accident, I swear.


Your getting older seems to screw up time.


Big feet, loud voice, chewed-up fingernails…

When I asked for a baby sister,

I never thought to ask for all this.


1 comment: